What are the requirements for registering a motor vehicle?
- Duly filled in registration application form
- Original Invoice
- ID Card copy (the applicant should be 18 years and above)
- One passport size photograph (recent)
- Original customs clearance (if purchased from authorized dealer outside Bhutan )
- Import license /quota (in case of purchase from third country )
- Tax clearance receipt in original
- Green Tax receipt in original
- Emission certificate ?Euro 03/Euro 04 compliant
- Vehicle should be brought for physical inspection
Only new vehicles can be registered.Second Hand/used vehicles registered in other country cannot be registered in Bhutan.
All new vehicles must be brought for physical inspection by the Motor Vehicle Inspector of RSTA during the time of registration.After registration,the applicant is required to produce the vehicle for fitness inspection with the number plate displayed both at the front and the rear,exactly as per the standards prescribed by RSTA regulations.Please note that slanting/shiny letters/numbers and embossed numbers are not allowed.
An application for vehicle registration must be completed within 15 days from delivery of vehicle from the Custom Authority or the authorized dealer. The penalty for exceeding 15 days is Nu. 100 per day.